What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimisation. What is it and why is it important?
So you’ve heard about Google right? And you see the list of things that come up when you search for something on their website? Ever wondered how people get their businesses and community groups to come up on the first page of Google? Coz if you’re anything like me you don’t go through to the second page. I don’t have the time to go trawling through Google pages. Search Engine Optimisation or SEO, is what is going on behind the scenes.
Rather than reinvent the wheel, I’ll let the guys over at Search Engine Land explain SEO it a little further…
So lets recap. To get your website further up the Google list (higher rankings) you need the right ingredients on your website or blog.
1) The words you use throughout your website or blog matter. If you’re selling vintage clothing, there’s not much point talking about how you fixed your motorbike on the weekend. Keep your website relating to what you’re doing!
2) The titles you use for your blog posts and pages matter. It summarises the content and is like a book title. Search Engines look for good titles!
3) The links you post on your site matter. It’s even better if people are linking their websites to YOUR website. How do you get people to link to your website? See point number 5.
4) The words you use when linking to other websites matter. For instance, if you linked to this DoReMedia blog post and used the words What is SEO?, search engine understand that where the link points to is about SEO.
5) Content! Content! Content! Search engines reward regular (at least once a week), fresh, engaging, quality content with quality links. Not only that, but if your website.blog is entertaining and informative, people will begin to share the link to your website on their websites and social media which is exactly what you want!
SEO recipes are refined and changed all the time and we’re kinda at the whim of the search engines themselves. Remember they’re a business unto themselves just like you.
So write well my friends, but most importantly, have a go!